Nov 27, 2018

LATEST IN SKINCARE


It's been a hot minute since I talked about any new makeup or skin products since I didn't do much exploring over the summer or spring. I did a little digging around on the blog, and I found an old skincare routine post from almost exactly a year ago. It remained the same for a solid part of 2018, but I decided to switch it up this past autumn once I noticed a significant difference in my skin after the summer.

I'm not really sure why my skin changed so much after I came back from California, but it was a lot drier and acne-prone than before. Even after switching back to a more regular diet, things just weren't the same. I thought this was a good opportunity to try something new and buy products actually targeted towards my skin type.



Day Routine

Each morning, I wash my face with water and tap the Time Revolution Missha Essence into my skin. My Korean friends swear by essence, so I started using it back in Spring. If I'm being honest, I'm not 100% sure what it does, but it does make my skin feel more hydrated. Afterwards, I give my face a few spritzes of a toner my sister and her fiancĂ© sent me to try.

I also heard a lot of good things about the Drunk Elephant skincare brand, so I picked up a few of their travel-sized options at Sephora to sample. In the palm of my hand, I mix together the C-Firma Day Serum with the Virgin Marula Facial Oil and B-Hydra Serum.

The combination of these products have been really effective for my combination skin, and they seem to keep my face hydrated while keeping the shine to a minimum. When I used to use a thicker moisturizer, I found myself having to blot multiple times a day, which isn't the case when I use these products together. They work well underneath my makeup.


Night Routine

At the end of the day, I typically use a proper eye makeup remover with a makeup wipe, but recently I've been skipping that altogether and just jumping to this Heimish All Clean Balm. It's an oil-based cleanser that my friend Stefanie recommended to me, and I understand why. This stuff gets all the makeup off my face, including my stubborn waterproof mascara. It also smells really, really good.

In the shower, I'll cleanse again with the Clinique Foaming Cleanser and my Luna cleansing brush. When I hop out of the shower, I'll spritz a little bit of toner and apply a mixture of the Virgin Marula Facial Oil and B-Hydra Serum, along with the TLC Framboos Night Serum, which is an AHA/BHA exfoliating serum that makes my skin feel so smooth when I wake up.

One ingredient I used to have in my routine was salicylic acid, and since I've cut it out, my acne-prone skin has been breaking out a bit, particularly due to hormones and on the spots where I often touch my face (oops). So while this skincare routine is partially incomplete and I need something to control acne, I've been pretty impressed otherwise with how the texture of my skin has generally improved since the beginning of the season!