Sep 30, 2018

SUMMER IN FILM



With the first week of autumn quarter out of the way, I’ve been back in the Seattle area for a little over three weeks now. While it’s technically fall, I’m posting my last set of summer photos before I forget about them. These were taken on my last roll of film over the summer.

I somehow found myself with the opportunity to spend nearly all summer in San Francisco, living a walking distance from downtown. With the size of the tech industry in the bay, I was curious to see what life would be like in the city. California living sounded like a dream from everyone who’s lived there, so it was nice to have an opportunity to find out for myself.



Alone in an unfamiliar city, I often found myself taking long walks around the various neighborhoods, snapping photos, reading in parks, and eating overwhelming amounts of dim sum and Mexican food. 

This was my first experience really living on my own, and without school, I found myself with copious amounts of free time. Luckily, I made a few new friends from work and had a few visitors from Seattle, so I wasn’t entirely without company. Still, this “alone time” was valuable. It was a great opportunity to focus on myself and really reflect on what I want to do after graduation. I learned a lot about myself this summer.



If I’m being honest, I didn’t find San Francisco to be as appealing as I thought I would. While the unique neighborhoods offered character and a certain level of charm, I also found it dirty and overwhelming. The views of the bay and bridges were beautiful, but I didn’t like the state of the city itself. 

Luckily, I enjoyed my internship and found it very helpful in deciding where I want to steer the beginning of my career, so I left the city with a little more direction than when I first landed. I’m so grateful to have been given this opportunity, and I’m excited to apply what I’ve learned during this upcoming school year.