Nov 29, 2017

SKINCARE


I've been meaning to do a routine about my skincare for months now, but it's always just been so minimalist that I wasn't even sure if I should mention it. While I was in a pickle, my skincare routine slowly changed from high-end to drugstore products. There was nothing particularly wrong with the products I was using, but I just wasn't completely satisfied with them, and I like to try new things.

Once my fancy face wash and moisturizers were empty, I headed over to Target to try something new. There are so many amazing makeup and skincare products out in the drugstore nowadays, and in my case, they work a lot better than the ones I pick up from Ulta or Sephora. 


1. I think the real MVP of this post is the CeraVe Renewing SA Lotion. I don't think I could recommend this enough to people. Ever since I started using this months ago, my skin has been exponentially clearer. While it's still not perfect (because no moisturizer is going to completely eliminate the woes of acne), I don't think my skin has been this clear in a very long time. 

Be warned though, some people find it greasy and too thick. I have combination skin and haven't had any particular issues with it, but since salicylic acid can also make your skin sensitive to sunlight, maybe this product is best for nighttime use.



2. Speaking of moisturizers! If I had to choose an 2nd MVP, it would be this little tube that I picked up on a whim. To be honest, I totally gave in to the Instagram /YouTube sponsorship ads I was seeing all over my feed. The next time I was at my local target, I figured I could give the Hydrating Booster a go-- and I'm so glad I did. 

It feels like water, and I was skeptical that it would really do anything to my skin, but there's something in this that makes it so much more effective than other serums I've used. While products I used before were hydrating, they would lose their magic touch after several hours. But when I use this booster under my makeup, somehow the moisture stays in my skin throughout the day. 


3.  I also grabbed the Simple Micellar Gel Wash during the same trip, but I didn't have the same "wow" reaction like with the first two products. It does a decent job of cleaning my skin, and it reminds me a lot of the Cetaphil cleanser that used to be all the rage, but I think I'm going to keep exploring for cleansers. For now, this will have to do. 


4. My older sister let me try out this homemade toner, which I've been using for a few days now. It's made of a mixture of oils, and I just like the way it feels on my skin. It's not oily at all (that was surprising), and it smells good. I've never been a huge fan of toners since my skincare is the bare bones of a routine at all, but this one is refreshing.

5. Lastly, I just wanted to mention that I remove my makeup as a separate step before cleansing, and I  just really like the Neutrogena Eye-Makeup Remover. I've been using this for years, and it's able to get that stubborn waterproof mascara off my eyes at the end of the day, so it's a real lifesaver.


If you have any amazing skincare recommendations, let me know!!