Feb 18, 2018

CATCH-UP WITH ME


Yikes, it's been an entire month since I've posted, but I promise I haven't forgotten about this blog! I've been working hard to fulfill those last two New Year's resolutions, and I think it's been an overall success so far. Unfortunately, that meant that I was buried in the amount of work I had to do, and I just haven't had the time to pick up my camera and go on a shoot lately.

The last few weeks have been hectic schedule-wise as I try to juggle work, commuting, school, internship applications, portfolio, and a semblance of a social life this quarter. But despite being busy from dawn to the late night hours, I think that this is the most content I have been in a long while.

I feel like I had taken a year-long break in 2017; my mind just wasn't where it was supposed to be, and my surroundings felt distant. Since the beginning of this past quarter, I had felt like I had finally woken up from that haze, and it's as though I'm actually experiencing my life again. That being said, I've just been putting all of my energy into my work and school, so I haven't been hanging around on social media much. Here's what I've been up to the past couple of weeks:

1. Portfolio Grind

Yup, I've finally updated my work portfolio! It's been a long while in the making, and most of the project pages are still not 100% finished, but the brunt of the work has been done now that I have a consistent theme and established brand. I have a feeling that it's going to be one of those projects that will be eternally under progress, but I'm happy that it's finally on its way to being complete. I've moved to a totally new platform, and I'm excited to get those projects up there!

2. Socializing

Since I study within a relatively small department at the UW, I found it a lot easier to make friends this quarter. My work and school schedule are pretty stable this quarter, so I find myself routinely hanging around the same places between classes. I see the same faces time and time again, and I've been putting myself out of my comfort zone by talking to new people.

At the same time, I've been catching up with my old friends by grabbing coffee with them here and there. As introverted as I am, it's comforting hearing about their lives and how they're doing.

3. New Gear

After shooting with my trusty Nikon D3100 for nearly 7 years, I thought it was time to graduate to a new camera. I recently got my hands on the Nikon D750 and a couple of new lenses from my dad, and I'm so so so excited to put them into use! I've tried it out and love it already, though it's definitely going to take some getting used to. My old camera didn't have nearly as many buttons, and I find myself pressing the wrong ones because they're in different locations between the two cameras.

4. Reflecting

This is a bit of an odd one on the list, but I've been really thinking about my life lately. Earlier this week, I drove down to Gas Works Park and just sat on the top of the hill to think about how grateful I am to have everything that I do. I guess it's a form of meditation and just general appreciation. I've been journaling a bit as well, and I think I've gained a lot of perspective about my position in life.



I do plan to resume regular posting once this quarter cools down! I don't think that would be for a few more weeks, but I always come back to this blog as one of my favorite pastimes. Cake Potato is always in the back of my mind, and I promise I haven't forgotten about it.