May 19, 2018

FRESH PERSPECTIVE


This past week, I had a lot of time to reflect. I listened to a TED talk about the importance of constantly challenging yourself. I also photographed for the Women in User Experience conference where they discussed breaking barriers and pushing the boundaries set by ourselves and society. It was truly inspiring to hear about how female leaders in tech have overcome various hardships to get to where they are. I also had a luncheon yesterday with the Alaska Airlines CIO and was given the opportunity to learn about her work and background.

I'm so fortunate to be surrounded by such inspiring role models in my family, my friends, and my professional circles. This past spring quarter, I've pushed myself hard. Emotionally, socially, academically, and professionally. I found myself running from one meeting to another, and definitely pulling one too many all-nighters (which I think took a toll on my immune system as I now sit here battling a nasty cold), but I feel satisfied with my accomplishments and the path that I've laid out for myself. I can safely say that I've recovered from every obstacle I've faced so far.

This quarter, I learned to prioritize my work (and thrive in an environment of constant pressure), and I also learned the importance of rest and "unplugging" once in a while. I learned what it means to feel supported, and I learned that sometimes you have to drop toxic friendships and prioritize yourself.

Coincidentally, my planner's weekly quote was uncannily similar to a quote I heard on a recent episode of Parks and Rec that I watched. Oliver Goldsmith once said, "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."