Jun 12, 2018

SPRING CHAPTER



If my life were a book, the chapter about spring of 2018 has officially come to a close. I don't think I've ever had a quarter pass by so quickly, and it's only now starting to hit me that it's summer and there's already a new chapter ahead.

The past ten weeks have provided me with some of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I threw myself into my work, challenging myself academically, professionally, socially, and personally. I lost a lot of sleep trying to juggle it all, but I'd say that it was worth it in the end. And luckily, I managed to do it all with my sanity intact (with lots of help from coffee and cafes like the one pictured above.) Along the way, I met new friends, started new projects, and was given the opportunity to experience so many new things.

It's hard to believe that my junior year of college is over, and it's even harder to believe that I'm going to be spending the summer in San Francisco. As I sit here in my apartment, reflecting on my life the past few months, I feel so thankful for my friends and family who believed in me and encouraged me to put myself out there.

I'm an incredibly sentimental person, and I'm all for reminiscing. Below, I put together a little highlight reel of only a few moments from this past spring. I didn't take many photos because I was determined to just experience life without worrying about capturing it in a snapshot, so most of these were just taken on my iPhone, and many other experiences don't have photos at all. If I put down every spring quarter detail, this post would be miles long, so here are a few (photographed) tidbits from the past few weeks of my favorite city:


01. NATURE





One of my favorite parts of spring is how the city literally blooms. All the flowers open up (the cherry blossoms are just the beginning!) and mark the beginning of warmer, sunnier weather. Although my allergies act up and I find myself coughing up a storm every time I step outside, it's worth the congestion and watery eyes. Pike Place and local supermarkets begin to sell the prettiest bouquets of flowers, and it's tempting to pick up a new one every time I find myself downtown. From tulips to peonies, I can't get enough of how much more vibrant and alive the city seems with flowers around.

02. ENDLESS ICE CREAM





Maybe I shouldn't have eaten as much ice cream as I have the past ten weeks. I'm pretty sure I reached new levels of ice cream consumption this season. So many new ice cream shops opened up in the city lately, so naturally I had to try them all. Between Salt & Straw, Frankie & Jo's, and JuicySpot, I think my ice creamery visits were extra enjoyable as I spent them with my friends and family. They're all worth trying out, so if you're looking for any ice cream recommendations...

03. NEW FOODS




Admittedly I didn't photograph that many new food places this time around (unless you count the ice cream, in which that case I did). But I tried poké for the first time this spring after a loooong spell of not eating raw fish. I've actually kind of warmed up to the dish now, but I still can't see myself eating bowls and bowls of it. With that, I gave sushi another shot at some place that claims to have "50% off sushi every day," and that wasn't half bad either.

I was also able to try a bunch of new foods in the downtown area of the city since I found myself frequenting the heart of the city more and more often. I didn't get photos from some of the nicer places I've been too since I was too engrossed in the food, but I put together a little map of a few restaurants I visited. Not all of the places on the map were particularly new to me (I've included coffee and ice cream shops, too!), but I enjoyed all of them. I didn't write down every place I visited, but I'll update the map as I remember some of the other places I've been to.

04. PERSPECTIVE (LITERALLY)




I saw a literal new perspective-- I rode the ferris wheel downtown for the first time, and I went to the Columbia Tower Observatory for the first time in over 3 years! The city feels so small from up there, and you could see the entirety of Seattle from north to south. At a time where my love for this city was at an all-time high, it was almost overwhelming to see (but I had to internalize it during both occasions because I was with people.)

05. PERSPECTIVE (SOCIALLY)


Aside from the physical perspectives, this past season was really all about the insight I gained about the world around me.

The course I'm taking, HCDE, focuses on the human-related aspect of technology, and spring quarter I learned a lot about socializing, the impact of technology in my personal life, and human interaction in general. I felt that I was actually able to apply what I was learning to my own social life.

Being "social" was never easy for me, and my small-talk has always needed some work. Luckily, the people I've met have been more than friendly and have helped me evolve as a slightly-less-introverted creature in the end. I was able to meet a lot of new people, and hearing their stories, backgrounds, and experiences has taught me how to empathize and be a better friend.


06. TRYING SOMETHING NEW


The following don't really have any images, but I tried a bunch of new things! My comfort zone has been small, and I was determined to push those boundaries.

  • Went to 2 concerts: Pale Waves and Marian Hill without having ever been a concert person
  • Rode an Ofo (bike sharing) to Gasworks Park
  • Downloaded an online dating app or two (for research tho) 
  • Interviewed for positions related to the field I'm studying
  • Went hiking in darkness (bad idea)

I'm definitely a lot more comfortable trying new things, and I feel so much more confident about my identity. Overall, it was a whirlwind of a quarter, but I wouldn't have it any other way.