Jun 15, 2018

HELLO, SAN FRANCISCO!


During my search for an internship this past quarter, my friend recommended I apply to a full-stack UX position for a company based in San Francisco. He was familiar with my background in web development (which I owe to this blog for getting me started) and urged me to apply. And just like that, I manage to find myself sitting in an unfamiliar city surrounded by strangers and quaint, colorful houses.

I'm so excited to be interning in the bay area this summer-- it's my first official job doing something related to my degree, and the environment makes it all the more exciting. My ticket was booked a week before I officially started work, and so far I've just been roaming around being as touristy as I could possibly be. This entire experience is a huge first for me-- I had never flown by myself before, and I had never had to worry about cooking for myself. Is this how my peers felt when they moved for college?

The best way to keep up with me is on Instagram stories, which is where I post the most often. Since they don't lend themselves to solid caption writing, I noted down the context of my images below, if you were interested:


4 DAYS IN SUMMARY...



Saturday, June 09
The flight was only an hour and a half, and my uncle picked me up from the airport. From there, we grabbed a meal from Super Duper Burgers and made a quick trip to Target for some apartment essentials to help me move in. When I arrived at my apartment, I took a shower and promptly crashed from exhaustion. I had spent the entire week beforehand sleeping 2-3 hours a night from all the anxiety around this trip.


Sunday, June 10
I started out the day with brunch with my new roommates! We ate at Dottie's True Blue Cafe and grabbed some chai lattes at David Rio's Chai Bar. I ended up seeing Ocean's 8 with one of my roommates and her coworkers, and I did more Target shopping for all the other things I didn't get to buy the day before.







Monday, June 11
With exactly a week left to spare before work, I was set on seeing the popular tourist spots the city has to offer. First, my sister told me to visit Sightglass Coffee, where I did some work and had a latte. Itching to stop working on my project, I walked over to the famous Painted Ladies (the houses were smaller than expected). I walked around some more, did a little bit of shoe shopping at the Everlane store, and bought a book to keep me occupied for the rest of the week. I realized just how colorful the buildings here are, and I kind of wish Seattle had the same vibrancy, considering how gloomy the weather is over there.






Tuesday, June 12
My morning started out with a walk to Tartine, where I had this amazing almond lemon loaf?! It was a bit of a walk, but worth the trek. I sat in a nearby cafe for a little to work on a blog post, and I spent the rest of the day reading and listening to music in Mission Dolores Park. It was refreshing to sit down and just take in the environment; I don't always have that luxury when I have school or work.



ON THE MAP...


I put together a little map of the few places I mentioned in this post, so check it out down below!