Jun 30, 2018

FEELING TOURISTY



Determined to make the most of my time before the internship started, my first week in the bay was filled with sight-seeing. It was a lot to take in, and I was lucky enough to have my friend Arsh and my extended family show me around for a few days! We went to places more easily accessible by car, and I really enjoyed being a tourist before I settled in for work.

On the day I hung out with my cousins, we visited Lombard Street (photos above!) and the Golden Gate Bridge. We saw a lot more attractions, but I'll save those for another post.


VIEWS FROM LOMBARD STREET


The "crookedest road" is definitely crooked. I never hear much about this place, so I was surprised to see how pretty it looked. If you ignore the hoards of tourists crowding at the steps and blocking the intersections, you could almost say the little road is peaceful. I don't know how it became such a tourist attraction (or why the city decided to make it so crooked), but I'm glad that I could check this off the list of things to see in San Francisco.




GOLDEN GATE


Spoiler alert: the bridge is red. My uncle drove us to see every possible angle of the Golden Gate Bridge, so I have plenty of photos from every possible way you could look at it. We ended up driving all around the Presidio area, on the bridge, and on the other side as well. 

It was really nice being able to see all these different angles of the bridge, and it was refreshing to have my cousins to talk to! While I've generally been enjoying my time alone in California, I do sometimes wish I had people to share these moments with. 

Looking at this view, I felt so grateful to have been given this opportunity to work here, even just for the summer. Everything feels new to me, and I'm excited to seek inspiration from the landmarks and environment in the bay area. The beginning of June was marked by my nervousness to fly down here, but I feel a lot more confident now that I've taken the time to settle into the city and now that my internship has started. I have a feeling that these three months will fly by in no time.